Monday, March 9, 2009

Huawei E160 internals...

Hmm, I bought another (locked to Globe Telecom) E160 after the earlier one seemed to be slower than my Nokia 6120c. Remember, I unlocked the first one so the warranty was void so there was no use returning it. This time on Globe it was faster and cooler even after several hours of use. So I'll just use this and if the network goes down I'll switch to Smart using the Nokia. The thing got cheaper too since I bought the first one and I was curious so I decided to open it (and possibly make an antenna for it). I tried not to mar the casing as much as possible. Here's how I did it -- Using a ViseGrip, align it such that it bites about half the cross-section, then turn the screw at the end of the handle. One can see the case open up a bit...

...insert a jeweler's screwdriver into the opening, prying it open...


...pry it some more...

...and here's the E160 disassembled...

...there are two PCBs in there...

...the E160 employs a diversity antenna, which means there are more than one antenna inside the device, I suspect here is one. It looks like a chip antenna similar to one inside my usb wifi dongle, however this is waayyyy bigger...or I could be wrong on this...


... a small connector (probably for test)...


...here is the antenna or is it?...

...its other side...wait-a-minute, there's only one lead on this!!

...the proprietary CRC9 connector...


...another view of the connector...using a multitester I found that the leads are all shorted together, unless one inserts something through the hole, in which case only one lead is live. Where that live connection goes I have no idea.

0 comments: