Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New Huawei E160 3G modem

I just bought a Globe Visibility Prepaid pack for P2500 a few days ago. I had my sis look for the E220 model in the big city but she couldn't get one. So I just got the E160. Unfortunately while I could connect to Globe at HSDPA speeds, in reality the data transfer left much, much to be desired. Ping rates were 2000ms or longer and the thing sped up only after being connected for 40 minutes, then after 10 minutes died off. There's also what I thought was the 'Huawei disconnect' problem but right now think it's more due to the long usb extension cable I'm using.

Since I wasn't satisfied with Globe's signal, I had the thing unlocked via DC-Unlocker (also unlocking any form of a warranty :-) ) and am now back on the Smart network, here is the Mobile Partner connection software screenshot...


...man, I just had the signal just died on me again, though it didn't disconnect - it went to zero and stayed there! But wait, look at the lower left corner - two bars and yet I'm getting 100Kb/s, but the zigzagging is not ideal. Maybe an external antenna would solve that so I'll be on the look out for one or make one.

0 comments: